Sunday, October 8, 2017

Grateful

Breast Cancer Awareness month leaves many people in the breast cancer community feeling sad and angry. They want more research dollars dedicated to the understanding of and drug development for stage IV disease. They want this group of people to not be alienated during all the early-stage hoopla that makes up the month of October. I want that too. Their anger is justified. People are dying.

While there is a place for anger about research and where the money goes during this month--or any other month--there is also a place for happiness. I see it on social media almost daily. People with late-stage disease are running 5-K's, traveling, spending time with family and friends, returning to work and living longer with a better quality of life than they--or me--ever thought possible all because of research.  I am one of the approximately 15 to 20% with advanced stage disease that will live five years--my first treatment at this stage was 4 years and 5 months ago. I feel like we must not forget to acknowledge that research is helping people every day. I am extremely grateful to every researcher, advocate, educator, clinical trial participant, doctor, nurse and anyone who donates or is involved in fundraising of any kind--every single dollar counts. If not for those people, I would not be able to do this.




My situation can change at any time, and I don't always feel as good as I did on this day, but I am grateful for every single day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment